Skip to main content

On the team

A few weeks ago, I got the email announcing that I would be part of the PTCC team going to Uganda in the summer of 2013.  I think I stopped breathing for a few seconds when I saw that email.  It had suddenly become real rather than hypothetical, and I was terrified.  What had I done? Should I really be going to Uganda? Did God really want me to do this?

After maybe a day or two of panic creeping in whenever I thought of it, I realized that either God had called me to do this, and I could rest in that, or He hadn't but He would still work everything for good somehow because I loved Him.  This conclusion calmed my nerves enough to attend the first team meeting--though not enough to keep my face from turning beet red whenever it was my turn to speak!

The day after the first meeting, I left town for a family vacation.  Although I spent portions of my vacation time reading a team-recommended book, I by and large set all Uganda anxieties to the side until I got home.

Once home, my original win-win conclusion seemed less comforting.  What if God hadn't directed me to do this?  He doesn't call each of us to do everything that might benefit the kingdom.  I wanted to minister God's love and wisdom to the children at Kampiringisa and HomeComing and to those who would attend the pastor's conference at Hesed International, but I knew I couldn't do that on my own.  I would need God to work though me.  Did He want to work through me in Uganda during the summer trip?  I needed confirmation that this was His will.  I prayed for confirmation from Him and with full expectancy to hear something from Him, I opened my Bible to Ephesians 4-6 as that was the next passage on my Bible reading plan.

Tears were springing up in my eyes as I read Ephesians 4:11-16.  This was exactly what I wanted.  I wanted to use the gifts that God had given me to build up the body of Christ.  That's one of the reasons I chose this trip.  It seemed to match up with my giftedness surprisingly well.  This desire clearly matched God's heart and will. "From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." (Ephesians 4:16)

I'm going to need many more confirmations and encouragements as I continue on this journey and step way out of my comfort zone.  I'm going to need many others to join with me and support me with words, prayers, and needed funds.  I'm going to need to lean hard into God rather than my own understanding.  I'm going to need God to show up big-time along this journey, but for today, I'm going to trust Him, acknowledge Him in what I do, and leave Him the job of clearing the obstacles and producing eternal growth. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Lord, help me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Focusing on My Marriage and Family Destroys My Marriage and Family

When I first got married, I focused in on my marriage like a laser beam.  I wanted the marriage to be a healthy and lasting one, so I needed to know how to make that happen.  We got a nightly marriage devotional book to work through.  I listened intently to every marriage lesson and voraciously devoured any marriage advice I came across.  From all of this information, I saw lots of areas that needed improvement, so I set out to improve them ASAP.  If we were invited out with anyone, we usually turned them down.  After all, my hubby wasn't sold on the event the second I brought it up, and it was probably best to just stay home and focus on my marriage. When we had our first child, I did the same thing.  The crazy hormones didn't help.  If I didn't understand why she was crying, then I was obviously a failure as a mother, and I'd start to wonder what I'd gotten myself into. If we were invited anywhere, the answer was obviously "no."  It might...

What makes us valuable? Let's talk recipes! (You are the Salt of the Earth post #4)

When I was in elementary school, my dad made me a necklace.  He crafted it with an amber heart as the centerpiece and then surrounded that with amber and hematite beads.  I adored it.  Everytime I saw it or thought about it, I knew that my daddy loved me, that he treasured me, and that he thought I was worth his effort. It became my most treasured possession.  There was nothing that I owned that had more value to me. This necklace that you see in the picture was by far my most valued possession growing up. When I first began thinking about the 3 characteristics of saltiness, I was excited about the "valuable" quality.  I figured I was going to get to find all sorts of verses about how God delights in us, how much He loves us, how He sees us to have tremendous value.  It was going to be like one giant self-esteem boost.  How fun!  However, as I began to really contemplate the concept of being valuable like salt, other considerations came into vi...

Marriage isn't for My Spouse's Happiness: A Response to "Marriage Isn't For You"

Ok, team, I've been seeing a lot of Facebook links to a specific blog post on marriage.  You all seem to just love it.  I'm not a big fan of it. Here it is:   http://sethadamsmith.com/2013/11/02/marriage-isnt-for-you/ I do agree with it on a couple of pretty big issues.  First, marriage and love in marriage are not about making me happy.  Second, love seeks the interests of others and is sacrificial.  I'd like to believe that is what most people are applauding in this post.  However, there is a big underlined portion that I completely disagree with.  "You don’t marry to make yourself happy, you marry to make someone else happy ." Not only do I disagree with this statement, I think it's dangerous.  I suppose that danger element is why I can't seem to just overlook this sentence and forget about the post in the cloud of everyone else's praise for it. I absolutely did not marry my husband to make him happy.  I probably did marry s...